Review request for rescue.7

Simon L. Nielsen simon at nitro.dk
Thu Jul 17 13:27:48 UTC 2003

On 2003.07.12 12:05:12 -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 02:18:35 +0200
> "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon at nitro.dk> wrote:
>
> > rescue.7  text/plain (4681 bytes)]
[CUT]
> > In particular, they do not have full use of the locale,
> > .Xr pam 3 ,
> > and nsswitch libraries.
> > .Pp
> > If your system fails to boot, and it shows a prompt like:
>
> s/like/similar/  or "shows the following prompt"

Since the prompt might not always be exactly that string, I prefer to to
be a bit vague, so I think I will go with Scott Lambert's "similar to".

> > .Pp
> > .Dl Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
> > .Pp
> > the first thing to try running is the standard shell,
> > .Pa /bin/sh .
> > If that fails, try running
> > .Pa /rescue/sh ,
> > the rescue shell.
>
> "which is the rescue shell"?

Used.

> > The next step is to double-check the contents of
> > .Pa /bin ,
> > .Pa /sbin ,
> > and
> > .Pa /lib ,
> > possibly mounting a
> > .Fx
> > rescue CD-ROM (e.g.
>
> IIRC, its called the "Live Filesystem CD"

Yes, it is.  Since it doesn't really has to be disc2, but could be
something similar, how about the following?

.Fx
rescue or
.Dq live filesystem
CD-ROM (e.g.
.Li disc2

> > .Li disc2
> > of the officially released
> > .Fx
> > ISO images) and copying files from there.
> > Once it is possible to successfully run
> > .Pa /bin/sh ,
> > .Pa /bin/ls ,
> > and other standard utilities, try rebooting back into the standard
> > system.
> > .Pp
>

> Hope this helps.  I was in the process of collecting some of my

It does, thanks!

> notes from 'fixing' my laptop after something went wrong, and
> writing an in depth trouble shooting guide covering the live
> filesystem CD and other things.  Although I am really lacking
> in time right now.

I think it could be interesting with an article (or a part of the
handbook) about this topic.

--
Simon L. Nielsen