A question about a word "userland"

Jose Liang jose at jose.idv.tw
Fri Dec 19 13:37:35 UTC 2003

Dear all,
I'm a FreeBSD user come from Taiwan, and I'm doing a project that is about
translating FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE Release Notes into Traditional
Chinese(big5). I got this file from
http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes/5.2-RELEASE/relnotes-i386.html, but
there is an issue perplex me.
That is about this word: userland. Well, because my English is not vary
well, so I translate this document by some tools sometimes, but there are no
any word about "userland". I tried to find a solution to solve this problem,
but I didn't get any effective answer. I guess this word means "system
environment that user's set up", Just guess! Am I wrong? Could anybody tell
me? If I'm wrong, plese tell me what it means after all.

Thanks for reading this post, also thanks FreeBSD Core Team to give us a
operating system that is so good!

P.S. If you are interested in my translation, here we are:
http://www.jose.idv.tw/document/freebsd/5.2-RELEASE/relnotes-i386.html. But
remind you again, this is a Traditional Chinese(big5) file!

Jose Liang, 2003/12/19