docs/60252: Continuous re-installations for FreeBSD novices

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Mon Dec 15 11:30:11 UTC 2003

The following reply was made to PR docs/60252; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam at ringlet.net>
To: Phil <phil.addy at bradford.gov.uk>
Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/60252: Continuous re-installations for FreeBSD novices
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:21:53 +0200

 --CblX+4bnyfN0pR09

 On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 03:01:48AM -0800, Phil wrote:
 [format recovered to less-than-80 character lines]
 > >Number:         60252
 > >Category:       docs
 > >Synopsis:       Continuous re-installations for FreeBSD novices
 > >Originator:     Phil
 > >Release:        4.7
 >
 > Why not mention, prior to installation, that to get the sound card
 > working you're gonna have to rebuild the whole kernel at some stage,
 > and therefore you will have to install all the sources necessary to do
 > this? Also, why not just add a couple of simple lines (such as device
 > pcm) to the GENERIC kernel to try and pick up most of the common sound
 > cards in order to avoid all this agony?

 The pcm driver, as well as all drivers dependent on it, is already
 available as a module in the /modules directory (/boot/kernel on
 -CURRENT) after the installation, as well as after any full
 buildkernel/installkernel cycle.  I have rarely had problems with just
 original kernel.generic from the installation, could you try booting
 into it and then 'kldload snd_xxxxx', your respective soundcard driver?

 If this works, you could also add the following lines (or equivalent, if
 you are not using the ich driver) to your /boot/loader.conf file:

 # Get the sound up and running
 snd_ich_load=3D"YES"
 snd_ich_name=3D"snd_ich"

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --=20
 Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at sbnd.net    roam at FreeBSD.org
 If I were you, who would be reading this sentence?

 --CblX+4bnyfN0pR09

 --CblX+4bnyfN0pR09--