Proposed addition to the mail section of the handbook

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Dec 12 18:05:45 UTC 2003

Chris Pepper wrote:
> At 10:56 AM -0500 2003/12/02, Bill Moran wrote:
>
>> Josef El-Rayes wrote:
>
>>> should this really be covered by the handbook? isn't
>>> the handbook a resource for freebsd specific topics?
>>
>> I belive the handbook should have this section.  There are many
>> circumstances where a FreeBSD machine will need to do mail
>> in a "send-only" capacity.  Users should be able to find documentation
>> on how to make it work.
>
>> Perhaps the handbook is not the correct place for this?  I'm open
>> to suggestions, but the handbook was the best place I could find.
>
>     I think this is worth listing. There should be something in the
> Handbook so people looking there learn it's possible to send mail
> without a fully-configured sendmail installation. It would also be fine
> to put this content into the FAQ, and link to it from Chapter 20
> (Electronic Mail), but is probably easier to maintain if it's in the
> Handbook proper. It's certainly not doubling the size of the Handbook. ;)

Thanks for the support, Chris.

>     Looking at the rendered
> <http://www.potentialtech.com/wmoran/handbook/outgoing-only.html>, I see
> a few issues (perhaps already fixed in source):
>
>> Your computer is a desktop machine, but you'll want to use FreeBSD
>> programs such as .
>
>     Is send-pr not appearing here for some reason?

Oops ... typo, I've fixed it.

>> but needs to pass off all mail to a mail relay for processing.
>
>     s/mail to a mail relay/mail to a relay/
>
>     s/nitch/niche/
>
>     s/your agreement probably forbids/your agreement may forbid/

Done, thank you much.

In case anyone is curious, I'm going to wrap this up and submit a PR for
it.  I haven't got a lot of feedback, and it's only been a tiny bit
negative, we'll see what the comitters think.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies