Round two of the front page structure changes...

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 4 01:23:41 UTC 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 11:15:56 +0100
Marc Fonvieille <blackend at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 12:21:41AM +0100, Christian Brueffer wrote:
> >
> > I like it, but I think there are still way too many links in the
> > sidebar.
> >
> > As you already notes, the 'Vendors' section actually belongs to the
> > 'Software' section.  'Documentation' and 'Support' could be consolidated
> > into a 'Resources' section.
> >
> > The 'Multi-language support' section is not needed, IMHO.  I think
> > people would expect documentation in a given language on the web
> > pages of that specific language, http://www.freebsd.org/de, for example.
> >
> > Maybe we should put the links to language specific web pages in a more
> > prominent position (and list all available languages on the front page).
> >
> > In general, we should unclutter the side bar.  IMHO, NetBSD and OpenBSD
> > have done a good job in this regard.  4 or 5 big subsections which
> > roughly categorize the links to subsection pages, which can contain all
> > the other stuff.
> >
> [...]
>
> (Sorry, I do not have time to give to these interesting changes :( )
>
> I agree with Christian the NetBSD.org way for Languages is very
> efficient and well "placed", we just need something like that.

That sounds like a good idea.  It may be more noticable than a
drop down box and whatnot...

> As I said above, I can't help you more guys but the new front page (the
> one available at the time of this writing) is already a great
> improvment, please continue!

Thanks!  Besides, you seem to be covering the ports doc, which
I lack time on.  Talk about working together hehe...

--
Tom Rhodes