FreeBSD for Linux users

Dan Pelleg daniel at pelleg.org
Mon Dec 1 23:27:16 UTC 2003

Bill Moran writes:
 > Dan Pelleg wrote:
 > > Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> writes:

Not to make any point in particular, just to use this opportunity to put in
the archives some things in ports which linux people find it odd aren't
installed out of the box:

 - as was already said, bash

 - gmake

 - random stuff that is generally in fileutils/textutils/sh-utils (note
that GNATS has a new port "coreutils" rolling them all into one, not yet
committed)

 - seq

 - vim

 - emacs

I don't know if there's a meta-port that includes them all or not, but it
probably wouldn't hurt to have one. Speaking of which, instant-workstation
is seemingly another thing that would make linux users from most distros
feel at home, albeit a bloated and crowded home.

Also, linux compatibility comes in handy for the odd game, browser plugin,
or non-ported utility (sometimes it's faster to just grab a binary from a
linux system and run it). In case someone is actually reading this and
writing docs, this is where a pointer to the linux compat chapter in the
handbook should come (reminding readers about USER_LDT and linuxprocfs).

Just looking at the ports tree, I realize there are several variants of
linux_base (RH, debian, and gentoo). Meaning one can have distro wars fully
contained in FreeBSD :)