RFC: Restructure of the front page

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 1 21:26:03 UTC 2003

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 01:29:46 -0600
Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com> wrote:

> So far I'd have to say I like most of these followon suggestions.
>
> My goals in proposing some of the changes were to keep in mind
> that each 'first click' should take you to something general, and each
> 'second click' should take you to something more specific.  The
> front page is a real mix-and-match of that right now. That's why I
> proposed moving or dropping some of the links that I did; not that
> they're not informative on their own, they just need to be pushed down
> a page (and a few, like to the mailing lists, need to be pulled up).

This first paragraph explains exactly why some changes need to be
made.  As an Internet user I can safely say that if I visit
a website and spend more than 10 minutes searching for the information
I want, I'll leave.  The easier information is to find, the happier
our users will be.  It may also help cut down on bug reports or
the occasional 'Where can I find information on ..." emails.

> Indeed the second-click pages are in need of work themselves
> (or of being created, in a couple of places, even if only as a paragraph
> plus a list of  'see for more' links), but I like Tom's suggestion of
> doing it in stages.  I started working on the internal/index.html page
> before bogging down myself :-)

Thank you.

--
Tom Rhodes