Another "annoying" trademark :)

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Tue Aug 26 21:46:53 UTC 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:33:32AM -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> The statute also has a footnote saying that there are other ways to
> mark a trademark (other than the circle-R and "Registered in
> U.S. Patent and Trademark Office" and "Reg. U.S. Pat. & Tm. Off.") to
> give notice that it is registered, but it refers to some old law that
> I couldn't find.
>
> AFAIK, "(TM)" and the small raised "TM" only imply a trademark claim,
> not registration.  Anyone know of (semi?) official documents on the
> matter?

On another project I've been associated with, a couple trademarks were
registered.  Once they started the process, the lawyers wanted them to
always use the trademarked terms and always mark them with (tm) symbols.
They also had to change to using the circle-R form fairly quickly.  As I
understood it, they didn't need to worry much about people using the
wrong form as long as they weren't associated with the project.

-- Brooks