website related questions

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 24 21:26:51 UTC 2003

On 2003.08.24 23:12:21 +0200, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> Hi, I have few FreeBSD website related questions.
>
> 1) I know there is www mailing list, but I also see a lot of www related
> talk here at doc mailing list. Where should I post questions,
> suggestions and patches about website infrastructure (markup, Makefiles
> etc)?

It's not really that important... I expect that most people doing www/
work is on both lists.  Anyway it is prefered to send patches as PR's so
they don't get lost.

> 2) What about tidy errors/warning, both on web and in doc? Is there any
> concern on fixing them? Those Error (ignored) messages are disturbing :)
> I'm willing to fix them.

I don't particular think it's a goal to have tidy run without
error/warnings in itself, but I do think it would be great if the sgml
files under www/ are as correct as possible, which should in turn also
make tidy quite.  Hope the difference makes some sence.

> 3) Website validity (according to W3 Validator). Even our homepage now
> fails to validate. Should I submit fixes, as PRs maybe?

I think the entire website (if possible) should be valid HTML.  I also
think this is more important than '2)', since people actually "see" the
resulting website.

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team