docs/55526: Update the branches pic and ascii art for the releng article

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 14 16:49:15 UTC 2003

On 2003.08.14 09:34:33 -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, "Simon L. Nielsen" wrote:
>
> > On 2003.08.14 08:54:18 -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> >
> > There is also the branch ASCII image in the FAQ -
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/introduction.html#STAB=
> > LE
> > =2E Perhaps we could merge these two one figure e.g. in the Handbook ?
>
> Maybe.  I'm not a big fan of ASCII art for complex graphs, but
> definitely I'm in favor of eliminating duplicate information that can
> get out of sync.

I should have been more clear; I don't paritular think it should be in
ASCII, just the information which is in the graph currently in the FAQ.
Actually the information you have in releases.ps.

> > > Here's something I was playing with while trying to get some experience
> > > with OpenOffice:
> > > http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/releng/releases.ps
> > >
> > > Not saying that we need to adopt this document, but just tossing it out
> > > for discussion.
> >
> > I find it a bit hard to get the "big picture" quickly since the the
> > graph lines are "broken".  Just my 0.02c.
>
> Good point.  This is a problem especially near the right side of the
> figure, where we have parallel HEAD and RELENG branches.  I'll see if I

Yes, exactly.

> can connect these up in a non-confusing, non-ugly way.

Great :-).

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team