docs/55538: [patch] add screenshots to desktop chapter

Josef El-Rayes j.el-rayes at daemon.li
Thu Aug 14 11:50:22 UTC 2003

Marc Fonvieille <blackend at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>  In that section, links to the FreeBSD GNOME Project and to the
>  FreeBSD-KDE team's web sites were added also for that purpose.  These
>  sites provide screenshots and many informations.  It would be useless to
>  "re-invent" the wheel. (look at
>  http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/screenshots.html for example).

it is not my habit to keep long discussions on not that important
topics and although i respect your opinion i am still not sure if you
( and the others) did also keep in mind that the handbook gets printed and
therefore it is important to do some illustrations.
comparable freebsd books like "the complete freebsd", "freebsd
unleashed" feature some screenshots when writing about windowmanagers
and desktop environments and i do not think "clicking on a link" is
suitable for a printed book. i think it is an overall problem of the
handbook that there are only a handful of images and illustrations -
which would definitely liven up (relax) the reading of the handbook.

>  The case is different, it's really difficult to talk about various
>  Sysinstall steps without some screenshots.  And Sysinstall is a part of
>  FreeBSD, GNOME and KDE are third party softwares, it's not the aim of
>  our documentation to provide screenshots of every apps around, links are
>  provided for that purpose.

i think there is no category where screenshots are more important than
this section.

>  We already talked about that "screenshot problem" about one year ago,
>  and with the same conclusion.

i accept that, i just wanted to state my opinion.

greets, josef
--
www: http://www.daemon.li
nic-hdl: JER1080312-NICAT