docs/55122: Handbook should mention that gdbe can't be used with vinum volumes

Ceri Davies setantae at submonkey.net
Thu Aug 14 09:16:57 UTC 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 09:09:32AM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Wednesday, 13 August 2003 at 10:02:34 -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:41:27 +0200

> >> Actually we document both the latest 5.X and 4.X releases in the
> >> handbook, otherwise there would be no mention of 5.X only features like
> >> gbde.
> >
> > Greg has a valid point; however, because it could 'just not be complete'.
> >
> > A simple note "As of this writing, gdbe cannot work with Vinum volumes."
> > I can see how making the note would definatly be documenting for 5.X,
> > but it should not be some huge paragraph.
>
> My concern is that this would require another modification, another
> PR.  If we did this for every transient incompatibility in -CURRENT,
> we wouldn't have time for anything else.  It shouldn't be put in the
> documentation.

As a user trying to get it working, I'd be very happy to see it in the
documentation.  It *should* be there, just the same as we have BUGS sections
in manpages.

When it does work, I'm sure that we'll notice.

Ceri
--
User: DO YOU ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOR?
Iniaes: Sure, I can accept all forms of payment.