docs/55538: [patch] add screenshots to desktop chapter

Marc Fonvieille blackend at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 13 15:26:10 UTC 2003

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 08:00:37AM -0700, Josef El-Rayes wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR docs/55538; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Josef El-Rayes <j.el-rayes at daemon.li>
> To: Tilman Linneweh <tilman at arved.de>
> Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: docs/55538: [patch] add screenshots to desktop chapter
> Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:57:26 +0200
>
>  Tilman Linneweh <tilman at arved.de> wrote:
>  > No, I don't like them. The GNOME one has a mixture of German and English on it
>  > and a strange font. The KDE one doesn't show specific KDE Applications and contains
>  > lots of German texts too. The KDE-FreeBSD Website has many better KDE Screenshots.
>  > Please submit some more default-style Screenshots.
>  i will try to find more suitable screenshots according to your
>  definitions.
>
>  > Second I don't think that the Handbook should be a screenshot gallery.
>  i think "screenshot gallery" is a bit exaggerated. as i only want to
>  provide one screenshot to give the user an impression, of what we are
>  actually talking about.
>  a picture says more than words and when talking about desktop
>  environments it is essential to show how it looks like.

In that section, links to the FreeBSD GNOME Project and to the
FreeBSD-KDE team's web sites were added also for that purpose.  These
sites provide screenshots and many informations.  It would be useless to
"re-invent" the wheel. (look at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/screenshots.html for example).

>  why do we provide screenshots of sysinstall in the install chapter?
>  to support the text, so why do not add 1 screenshot per desktop
>  environment? i will provide another pair of screenshots tomorrow.

The case is different, it's really difficult to talk about various
Sysinstall steps without some screenshots.  And Sysinstall is a part of
FreeBSD, GNOME and KDE are third party softwares, it's not the aim of
our documentation to provide screenshots of every apps around, links are
provided for that purpose.
We already talked about that "screenshot problem" about one year ago,
and with the same conclusion.

Marc