Use of w3.org servers.

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Thu Aug 7 08:09:36 UTC 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 06:07:09PM -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> I confused the namespace "URL" (which I know nothing about) with the
> DTD URL which in my own web pages was being served by me, not w3.  I
> see that the DTD seems to define the namespace string.
>
> Trying again: Shouldn't FDP DTDs should be served off "freebsd.org"?
>

> Here's the top two lines of early-adopter.html:

>     "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

Well, it could - but actually, I see no reason why it *should* :)
It's not like we're adding some XHTML/XML elements of our own, or
changing the structure or significance of any of the elements defined
in the XHTML 1.0 Transitional specification; is there a reason why
we should change the system identifier?

And BTW, the system identifier is also *not* used by browsers when
displaying the page; it is there more for the benefit of humans
reading it, or some kind of automated processing tools that should
be aware of differences and extensions.  The fact that we're keeping
the original XHTML sysid does not mean that we are forcing people all
over the world to fetch the DTD from the URL it contains; it just
means that we have not bothered to change it when there is little
reason to do so :)

Of course, this is all my personal opinion, not to be taken as any
kind of official opinion or stance of the FDP :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at sbnd.net    roam at FreeBSD.org
.siht ekil ti gnidaer eb d'uoy ,werbeH ni erew ecnetnes siht fI