Security-officer PGP Key?

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 5 19:39:37 UTC 2003

On 2003.08.05 12:18:04 -0700, Dave Tweten wrote:
> I just received a PGP signed message, supposedly from
> security-officer at freebsd.org, for which I did not have the matching public
> key.  Reflexively, I fetched it, and then began looking into it with an
> eye toward signing it so PGP would no longer call it "untrusted."
>
> To my shock, I found I had two public keys for security-officer, one
> vintage 4/22/1996,

From:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pgpkeys.html#PGPKEYS-OFFICERS

pub  1024D/CA6CDFB2 2002-08-27 FreeBSD Security Officer <security-officer at FreeBSD.org>
     Key fingerprint = C374 0FC5 69A6 FBB1 4AED  B131 15D6 8804 CA6C DFB2
sub  2048g/A3071809 2002-08-27

pub  1024R/73D288A5 1996-04-22 FreeBSD Security Officer (Deprecated key) <security-officer at freebsd.org>
     Key fingerprint = 41 08 4E BB DB 41 60 71  F9 E5 0E 98 73 AF 3F 11
uid                            FreeBSD Security Officer <security-officer at freebsd.org>

I just checked that the the announcment I recieved was signed with
CA6CDFB2 which is listed as the current key.  The new key CA6CDFB2 is,
among others, signed by the old key 73D288A5.

> My next step was to check the list of valid keys at the back of the
> FreeBSD Handbook.  Further shock.  It lists the 4/22/1996 key and not the
> more recent one just downloaded.  I immediately deleted the more recent
> key, and drafted this message.

Which exact handbook version are you refering to?  Everything looks
OK to me.

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team