Q: Is there any use for Oracle database port installation under Linux compat root ?

Adrian Penisoara ady at ady.ro
Wed Oct 22 22:49:46 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:51 AM, martinko <gamato at users.sf.net> wrote:
> Thierry Thomas wrote:
>>
>> Le Mar 21 oct 08 à 22:09:44 +0200, martinko <gamato at users.sf.net>
>>  écrivait :
>>
>>> Hi,
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>> No Oracle installation I have ever seen was installed into /home and it
>>> would be against Oracle Optimal Flexible Architecture (OFA) guidelines!
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>>> /usr/local/oracle would be OK and users can move the directory tree
>>> elsewhere afterwards.  Or maybe you can ask about Oracle Base directory
>>> during config/installation process, if possible.
>>
>> I would suggest to install under $ORACLE_HOME, defaulted to:
>>
>> ORACLE_HOME?=   ${PREFIX}/oracle
>>
>> (or may be ${PREFIX}/oracle${VERSION} to allow the installation of
>> different versions)

I have used a similar schema for the prefixing part, just used a
different variable name. Do not confuse this with the ORACLE_HOME
environment used by Oracle, what we set here is closer to the idea of
ORACLE_BASE.

We should not use a version field in this variable since the product
version signature is further in the path (see below).

>> Regards,
>
> Hallo,
>
> Well, it's a bit more complicated than that..
>
> OFA guidelines say that $ORACLE_HOME shoud be in the form of e.g.
> $ORACLE_BASE/product/10.2.0/db_1
>
> And application (DB) is installed into its $ORACLE_HOME and thus one can
> have many different installations of many different versions.
>
> Then there are other directories under $ORACLE_BASE that usually contain
> Oracle Inventory (of installed software) and DB data files etc.
>
> Usually everything under $ORACLE_BASE is created and taken care by Oracle
> Universal Installer (which is Java application).

Right. See above.

> Another issue may be where to place oratab file.  It is located in
> /var/opt/oracle/oratab on SunOS and in /etc/oratab on other Unixes.

The OracleXE packages have a hardcoded value for /etc/oratab. I'm
going to leave it this way for the sake of compatibility.

 One more question: how usefull would it be to use the Linux (Bash)
shell instead of a native (FreeBSD) shell ?

Thank you for your suggestions, I'm closer to the completion of the port.
Adrian.