Q: Is there any use for Oracle database port installation under Linux compat root ?

martinko gamato at users.sf.net
Tue Oct 21 21:05:03 UTC 2008

Chagin Dmitry wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008, Adrian Penisoara wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Alexander Leidinger <
>> Alexander at leidinger.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Quoting "Adrian Penisoara" <ady at freebsd.ady.ro> (Sun, 27 Jul 2008
>>> 11:22:20
>>> +0300):

>>> (Linux

>>> rooted
>>> note:

>>> A port has to install into LINUXPREFIX, if it is an infrastructure
>>> port (no part has to go outside this location). It has to install into
>>> the default location (PREFIX/LOCALBASE), if it is an enduser port.
>>> That's the easy part.
>>

>> Good pointer, I was missing this bit. Thanks.
>>

>>> Now the classification, what is what, is the hard part. The linux
>>> png/jpeg or whatever lib is for sure infrastructure. If this would land
>>> in the default FreeBSD lib path, rest assured it would hurt. A linux
>>> acroread port is an enduser application, a user will call it directly
>>> to work with it. It also does not come with libs in the default FreeBSD
>>> locations, so everything will be fine if it is installed in the default
>>> location.
>>>
>>> For the Oracle stuff I can imagine that it is a hard question. If it
>>> doesn't put libs into a FreeBSD lib directory (a subdirectory of a lib
>>> directory is ok, as it will not cause immediate problems), there are no
>>> immediate objections to putting it into the default FreeBSD location
>>> (and as the DBA as an enduser would use it, this would fit into the
>>> description above). But we also have the rule that nothing is allowed
>>> to be put into the basesystem (/usr/Y instead of /usr/local/Y). Think
>>> about jails where the base is mounted read-only and only additional
>>> programs are in a RW part.
>>

>>  In the default configuration the binaries (and I mean all of them!)
>> would
>> be placed under /usr/lib/oracle, since this is a hardcoded path in all
>> places.
>>  I will also offer a "WITH_BSDHIER" option which will root the
>> installation
>> into /usr/local/oracle and just make a symlink under /usr/lib. Should I
>> rather make this the default ? ;)
>>
>>  There are no libraries (or other binaries for that fact) installed
>> outside
>> the Oracle hierarchy (this is the general strategy for Oracle RDBMS
>> products
>> at least). So I guess it very nicely fits into the "enduser" picture you
>> describe above. I'm just wandering whether a /compat/linux rooted
>> installation would make sense.
>>
>>  I am still interested to hear opinions from Oracle DBAs/users on this
>> subject -- would you need this option ?
>>

> hi!
>
> I think that ora DBAs will tell that the best place it /home/ORAUSERNAME
> and this user should have shell /compat/linux/bin/bash
>
> thnx!

Hi,

No Oracle installation I have ever seen was installed into /home and it
would be against Oracle Optimal Flexible Architecture (OFA) guidelines!

/usr/local/oracle would be OK and users can move the directory tree
elsewhere afterwards.  Or maybe you can ask about Oracle Base directory
during config/installation process, if possible.

Cheers,

Martin

PS: Mind you that Oracle installation is usually owned by Oracle
software owner user (oinstall by default) who is different from
DBA/operator users (dba/oper by default).