mysql can't connect 2002 & socket error

Glenn Nielsen glenn at mail.more.net
Mon Mar 27 06:38:21 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 10:13:22PM -0800, peptide one wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been scanning these mail lists for a solution and have tried many
> things, but am still not able to start the MySQL 5.0 database on my FreeBSD
> 5.4 server. I've been working on this for two days and have never had so
> many problems getting a database to start.
>
> The first thing I did after installation was copy the /support-files/my-
> medium.cnf
> /etc/my.cnf
> and  enter the appropriate information.

You don't need a my.cnf file to start mysql. Only if you need to override
the defaults. Then you would put it in /var/db/mysql/my.cnf.

> I also created a "dummy" /tmp/mysql.sock file and configured permissions.
> I try starting the server as user "mysql" and it fails. Trying to su or
> login as mysql fails with a 'miscofiguration' error.

mysql creates this unix socket when it starts up.

> All this has happened after I've deinstalled and cleaned two previous
> installations.
>
> This is getting to be much more work than it should be.
>
> Can anyone help? It would certainly be appreciated.

I can think of two simple things which would prevent the mysql db
from starting.

After a new install of mysql you must run mysql_install_db to setup
the default database tables.

Second you have to make sure you have the appropriate entries in your
/etc/rc.conf file which tells FreeBSD whether and how it should start
mysql. See the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start script.
The start script won't start mysql unless /etc/rc.conf is configured
for it.

This is based on my experience with MySQL 4.1, I would expect it
would be the same for MySQL 5.

Regards,

Glenn