a problem with the btree facility in FreeBSD

Julesg julesg at shilohyrc.com
Mon Dec 5 15:50:08 GMT 2005

 (Please excuse my recent post to 'questions' -- I didn't realize that a database oriented mailgroup existed.)

A friend and I needed a DB for our application.  We chose the binary-tree organization and went to work;  (Our problem has been confirmed on both release 5.2.1 and 5.3.1)

During processing the permissions line on the file is all ZERO's (a horizontal line of dashes) and is unchanged after the file is closed (we do a DB-close, not our own close, nor do we simply exit the application.)

But the permissions don't change, and we can't (in a subsequent application,) running another job, open the DB and either read or write the existing DB file.

Our application, DB-wise, is pretty simple.

We'd just like to show a few lines to a real DB programmer (someone with experience using these tools) and learn what the fix is.

We built a six line program (might be a little longer, but not much) that exhibits the identical error profile.

I am trying to get a copy of the small example program now and should have it available soon to show an interested party.

--jg