Shared memory in 5.1 with sybase

Anthony Schneider anthony at x-anthony.com
Wed Oct 1 08:34:55 PDT 2003

5.1 by default it appears has
	kern.ipc.shmmax: 33554432

you can either increase this sysctl or you can try to decrease the total memory
for sybase.  for ASE 12.5, you can probably just lower "max memory" in your
configuration file.  for 12.0, "total memory" would be the one to lower.  I
am not sure if sybase will let you allocate less shared memory than the default,
though.

i would check the shared memory and semaphore requirements of ASE and try to
modify the equivalent sysctls for your system.  i am not positive, but i think
any changes made to these sysctls will need to be put into /boot/loader.conf
to be read at boot time.

-Anthony.