Command line too long!

Chris Brown chris at thebrown.net
Thu Jan 20 07:16:36 PST 2005

Hi,

For a while now cvsweb has incorrectly displayed a particuar module in my
CVS repository - quite a few of the files are missing from the log lists
but can be accessed if the url to the file is typed directly into my
browser, e.g., http://www/cgi-bin/cvsweb/cvsweb.cgi/opt/parmip.c. A Google
search found other people with this symptom but I couldn't find any fix.

I have now realised that my module contains so many files (~570) that the
command line to run rlog is longer than it (or the shell maybe) can
handle. To get around this I wrote a patch to version 3.0.4 of cvsweb.cgi
so it calls rlog incrementally with a configurable number of files at a
time (at the moment set to 150). I hope this is useful to someone.

Chris Brown