Option to ignore Windows linefeeds when diff-ing

Vandertouw, Justin (DEH) Vandertouw.Justin at saugov.sa.gov.au
Tue Mar 2 16:41:17 PST 2004

hi folks,

We have a problem whereby some developers checkin files (via commandline on
Unix/CVS host) that may have been edited on Windows PCs.

I have been asked to develop a soultion which will ulitmately enable
reliable and useful diffs

obvious solution was for developers to 'dos2unix' the source files but this
is not reliable (because our developers are not)

second was to modify the cvs checkin routines to check the fie and dos2unix
but this is a maintenance headache and not 100% reliable

then i thought maybe we could let the user tell cvsweb diff to ignore the
end-of-line (^M) that Windows inserts.

is this a reasonable option and has this been considered?

cheers,
justin vanderTouw