Permissions Issue

VilleSkyttä scop at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 10 14:24:16 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 03:02, Reuben Balik wrote:

> Error: Unexpected output from cvs co:
> opendir(/home/theguy/CVSforProject/..): Permission
> denied at /var/www/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi line 1837 cvs
> checkout: CVSROOT is set but empty! Make sure that the
> cvs checkout: specification of CVSROOT is valid,
> either via the cvs checkout: `-d' option, the CVSROOT
> environment variable, or the cvs [checkout aborted]:
> CVS/Root file (if any).

Yep, permissions issue indeed.  I assume you're running FreeBSD-CVSweb
2.0.6, the following guesswork is based on that.  Some things to check:

Does the web server user have read and execute access to the
/var/www/cgi-bin directory?  If not, is it acceptable to add read access
there?

If you don't want to add read access, try adding
"chdir('/some/where/with/read/and/exec/perms');" into the beginning of
cvsweb.cgi and see if it helps.  I committed a similarish fix to the
development branch last weekend.

Let me know (via replying to this list) if the above works for you or
not.

> I'm sorry if this is posted to the wrong list.  (if it
> is, can someone let me know where I should post it)

No prob, this is the correct place.