Displaying line numbers ($preformat_in_markup)

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu May 1 20:00:17 PDT 2003

What is the purpose of the $preformat_in_markup variable?  Looking at
the source, I only see two places it's used.  One is in the big "use
vars" block near the top of the file, the other is inside
cvswebMarkup():

         } elsif ($preformat_in_markup) {
                print "<pre>";

                 # prefetch several lines
                 my @buf = head($filehandle);

                 my %d = scan_directives(@buf);

                 while (@buf || !eof($filehandle)) {
                         $_ = @buf ? shift @buf : <$filehandle>;

                         print spacedHtmlText($_, $d{'tabstop'});
                 }

If it's never mentioned anywhere else in the file, it seems to me that
it can never be set and this is dead code.  Am I missing something?