CURRENT crashes at early boot on Lenovo T540p: rtsx to blame - 13.0-RELEASE crashes same way!

Gary Jennejohn gljennjohn at gmail.com
Fri May 7 13:22:20 UTC 2021

On Fri, 7 May 2021 15:01:13 +0300
Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 07.05.2021 14:36, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
>
> >> Looks like there is problem with rtsx driver!
> >  Oh, I forgot to add: disabling SD Card Reader in BIOS solves problem!
> >
> > And console on these crashes is totally dead, and disks are not
> > detected yet, so I can not look at structures in memory and/or
> > dump core.
>
> 13.0-RELEASE installation media crashes in same way if SD reader is
> enabled in BIOS.

I see that rtsx was added to GENERIC.  Might have been premature.

The only thing I can recommend is to install with the SD card reader
disabled in the BIOS.

It may be the case that rtsx still works even if the card reader is
disabled in the BIOS.  That's the first thing I would try out.

If that fails then generate a kernel with rtsx as a module rather than
it being hard coded into the kernel.

You could then re-enable the SD card reader in the BIOS and load the
module to check whether the SD card reader works or causes a panic
when the moduke is loaded.  This approach might make it possible to
get a crash dump if a problem occurs.

--
Gary Jennejohn (gj at freebsd.org)