libcrypto.so.7 not found, needed (?) for X server

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 23 13:06:27 UTC 2016

> > root at amelia:~ # pkg info -f xserver
> > Shared object "libssl.so.7" not found, required by "pkg"

> > What happened here?  Bug in new FreeBSD?

> This is explained by the UPDATING entry of October 2015:

> 20151030:
>         The OpenSSL has been upgraded to 1.0.2d.  Any binaries requiring
>         libcrypto.so.7 or libssl.so.7 must be recompiled.

> -Dimitry

I found this but not on the first attempt.

Why the #$%^&* couldn't the message have said how to find which binaries require a certain shared library?  It's not obvious!

pkg shows only those shared libraries that come from added packages but not from base OS.

I notice on this list there was a possible plan to make the whole base OS into a package, maybe for FreeBSD 12?

Now I could follow the example given under "man ldd".

I have updated many of the old ports but have many more to go, don't want to rebuild those already done.

I can't find any options/flags in pkg or portmaster to show those ports/packages installed after or before a specified date.  I believe portupgrade had such a facility.

Tom