What's the official method to test the build now?

Garrett Cooper yaneurabeya at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 19:49:25 UTC 2015

On Mar 21, 2015, at 12:37, Dimitry Andric <dim at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>>> I use "make universe", sometimes with the -DMAKE_JUST_KERNELS option.
>>
>> make universe doesn't error out; make tinderbox does however.
>>
>>> But the LINT kernels for x86 and sparc have been broken since January.
>
> So what's the effective difference between universe and tinderbox then?
> I've built quite a number of universes recently, and I while I did get a
> few errors, they were usually fixed quite quickly.
>
> Also, universe generates LINT kernel configurations, and builds them.  I
> didn't see errors there either...  Does tinderbox generate LINT configs
> differently, somehow?

universe gets called by tinderbox. From Makefile:

  6 # universe            - *Really* build *everything* (buildworld and
  7 #                       all kernels on all architectures).
  8 # tinderbox           - Same as universe, but presents a list of failed build
  9 #                       targets and exits with an error if there were any.