Future of pf / firewall in FreeBSD ? - does it have one ?

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Sun Jul 20 21:40:58 UTC 2014

On Jul 20, 2014, at 11:35 AM, Daniel Feenberg <feenberg at nber.org> wrote:

> Rather they have said "An updated pf would not be
> suitable, as it would be incompatible with existing configuration files".

A major FreeBSD version increment is allowed to break that level of backwards compatibility.  Nothing prevents this from being incorporated into 11.x.

The only real concern would be removing existing core functionality as part of the update.  For that you want to provide at least one major release cycle for people up migrate.  Comparing pf on my current OpenBSD machines vs. the FreeBSD 10.x pf, that doesn't seem to be an issue.

--lyndon