HEADS UP: No gcc by default in -HEAD on platforms where clang is cc

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sat Sep 7 09:00:01 UTC 2013

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013 21:19:32 +0100
David Chisnall <theraven at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> As of r255321, we are no longer building gcc or libstdc++ as part of
> the default install on platforms where clang is cc.
>
> If you are using gcc, you have two options:
>
> 1) Install one of the lang/gcc* ports (Warner has been working on
> separating out the patches to our GCC, so these should soon be
> patched to provide the same features as the one in base)
>
> 2) Put WITH_GCC=yes and WITH_GNUCXX=yes in your src.conf when you
> build world.
>
> GCC will stay in the base system tree for at least the lifetime of
> the 10.x release, and possibly longer if it is still being actively
> used.  It will remain used by tinderboxes and make universe for some
> architectures, so if you commit code without testing with gcc people
> will know very soon...
>
> Thanks to Warner for all of his recent work on disentangling the
> toolchain, to all of the people (Roman, Dimitry, Brooks, and others)
> who worked on getting clang integrated into FreeBSD and to everyone
> who tested it and filed bug reports.  As of today, PowerPC64 joins
> x86 and ARM as platforms where world+kernel can be successfully built
> (and work) with clang (although it isn't the default yet and needs
> more testing), and hopefully other architectures will follow soon.
>
> Huge thanks to all of the ports people who have spent the last two
> weeks working on dealing with the fallout from iconv and ensuring
> that all of the ports work with clang and libc++.  I think over the
> last week, the number of failing / ignored ports has dropped by about
> a thousand a day on the no-gcc test box that Bapt has been running,
> which is a phenomenal achievement.
>
> David

Removing the outdated stuff with

make delete-old in /usr/src leaves me with some recently touched
include files in /usr/include/gcc/4.2:

ll /usr/include/gcc/4.2/

total 14
236810 drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  -  512B  7 Sep 10:50 ./
235531 drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  -  512B  3 Nov  2010 ../
236036 -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  -  1.9k  4 Sep 12:07 __wmmintrin_aes.h
236058 -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  -    2k  4 Sep 12:07
__wmmintrin_pclmul.h
235704 -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  -  2.3k  7 Jun 08:55 ammintrin.h
236028 -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  -  1.6k  4 Sep 12:07 wmmintrin.h

(sorry for the weird breakup of the line).

Regards,
Oliver

[...]

>>> Removing old files (only deletes safe to delete libs)
remove /usr/lib/libisc.a?
remove /usr/lib/libisc.so?
remove /usr/lib/libisc_p.a?
remove /usr/include/isc/assertions.h?
remove /usr/include/isc/heap.h?
remove /usr/include/isc/list.h?
remove /usr/bin/g++? y
remove /usr/bin/gcc? y
remove /usr/bin/gcov? y
remove /usr/bin/gcpp? y
remove /usr/include/gcc/4.2/emmintrin.h? y
remove /usr/include/gcc/4.2/mm_malloc.h? y
remove /usr/include/gcc/4.2/mmintrin.h? y
remove /usr/include/gcc/4.2/pmmintrin.h? y
remove /usr/include/gcc/4.2/tmmintrin.h? y
remove /usr/include/gcc/4.2/xmmintrin.h? y
remove /usr/include/gcc/4.2/mm3dnow.h? y
remove /usr/libexec/cc1? y
remove /usr/libexec/cc1plus? y
remove /usr/share/info/cpp.info.gz? y
remove /usr/share/info/cppinternals.info.gz? y
remove /usr/share/info/gcc.info.gz? y
remove /usr/share/info/gccint.info.gz? y
remove /usr/share/man/man1/g++.1.gz? y
remove /usr/share/man/man1/gcc.1.gz? y
remove /usr/share/man/man1/gcov.1.gz? y
remove /usr/share/man/man1/gcpp.1.gz? y
remove /usr/share/man/cat1/gcc.1.gz? y
remove /usr/share/man/cat1/g++.1.gz? y
remove /usr/share/man/cat1/gcov.1.gz? y
remove /usr/share/man/cat1/gcpp.1.gz? y
>>> Old files removed
>>> Removing old directories
rmdir: /usr/include/gcc/4.2: Directory not empty
rmdir: /usr/include/gcc: Directory not empty
>>> Old directories removed
To remove old libraries run 'make delete-old-libs'.