Ipfilter pre-Vendor Import Issue

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 5 08:46:53 UTC 2013

  Cy,

On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 03:10:14PM -0700, Cy Schubert wrote:
C> Unfortunately it doesn't work any more. Here is what svn spit out at me.
C>
C> slippy$ cd $MY_WORK_DIR/current/contrib/ipfilter
C> slippy$ svn merge --record-only file:///tank/wrepos/wsvn/base/vendor/ipfilte
C> r/dist at 252548
C> svn: E205000: Try 'svn help merge' for more information
C> svn: E205000: Source and target must be different but related branches
C> svn: E205000: Source and target have no common ancestor:
C> 'file:///tank/wrepos/wsvn/base/vendor/ipfilter/dist@252548' and
C> '. at unspecified'
C> slippy$

AFAIU, the problem is that current contrib/ipfilter was never merged
from vendor/ipfilter. So, actually we are dealing with a first import
(from subversion viewpoint), not n-th.

What I'd prefer to see is the following:

- commit new ipfilter untouched to vendor-sys/ipfilter
- nuke sys/contrib/ipfilter
- svn copy vendor-sys/ipfilter to sys/netpfil/ipfilter

In future imports do:

- commit newer ipfilter to vendor-sys/ipfilter
- svn merge vendor-sys/ipfilter to sys/netpfil/ipfilter

What's the reason to keep code in contrib?

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.