FreeBSD Testing Facility

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 15:26:33 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 7:04 AM, Matthew Jacob <mjacob at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 2/21/2013 5:04 AM, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
>
>> Dear All ,
>>
>> During development of FreeBSD , testing is very vital .
>>

> This in general is a good suggestion. Most companies do such automated
> testing as a matter of course.
>
> Note however that this is a volunteer effort. Were you volunteering to set
> up such an automated, possibly testzilla driven, facility? It would
> certainly help the quality, although as others have noted snapshots are
> often likely to be broken.

I am not able to design , implement and manage such a facility ( most
important problem is health ) , but as an individual I want to participate
to testing as much as I can .

In the source tree , there are testing software .
There are other testing sites .

By cosolidating them as a distributed testing facility will help making
FreeBSD much more robust and increase development speed .

My idea is that a wide testing applicators may resolve many problems at the
beginning .
All the people which are trying snapshots or are using current developments
will likely participate such a testing community and produce results in a
structured and cooperative way .

For example , assume a component for boot up to login ( included ) is
modified .

Instead of preparing a many hundred mega bytes complete snapshot , only a
small boot only snapshot may be prepared and presented to testers . After
verifying that the boot process is
correct , the more complete snapshots may be prepared . In that way , time
and money will not be wasted by including unnecessary parts .

Please , consider each component in that way .

At present , many tools are already present in the ports tree .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk