Clang as default compiler November 4th

Pedro Giffuni pfg at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 11 16:27:09 UTC 2012

Hello;

Just my $0.02.

----- Original Message -----
> Can you, please, read what I wrote ? Fixing _ports_ to compile with
> clang is plain wrong. Upstream developers use gcc almost always for
> development and testing. Establishing another constant cost on the
> porting work puts burden on the ports submitters, maintainers and even
> ports users.
>
> I do strongly oppose the attempt to drain the freebsd resources by
> forcing porters to port third-party code to other compiler.

I can only speak for Apache OpenOffice but since Apple did the switch
already we are feeling a growing pressure to port OpenOffice to clang.

For the time being we need gcc but we would really prefer something
more up to date than gcc 4.2.1 + fixes. In other words, yes making
clang the default may sound drastic but I am OK with killing base
gcc and if clang is what is left I can live with it.

Pedro.