[patch] mmap() MAP_TEXT implementation (to use for shared libraries)

Konstantin Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 16:42:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 12:21:37PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Friday, September 07, 2012 12:02:08 pm Konstantin Belousov wrote:

> > > It sounds good for me. I will try to patch it this way. However, do
> > > you think that will be acceptable to set +x permission to shared
> > > libraries in general?
>
> Shared libraries have +x by default already.  You could make rtld fall back
> to using the O_RDONLY fd if it can't open an O_EXEC fd in which case you don't
> get the VV_TEXT protection, but rtld would be backwards compatible.
Where is it ? On fresh stable/9 machine, I have in /lib:
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel     7216 Dec  3  2011 libipx.so.5
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel    19800 Jun 28 18:33 libjail.so.1
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel    13752 Jun 28 18:33 libkiconv.so.4

> > Setting +x on shared libraries can be done. But setting VV_TEXT for
> > such mappings is definitely non-standard behaviour, that could cause
> > locking surprises for unaware system administrator. The issuw would be
> > very hard to diagnose.
>
> I'm not sure it would be that obscure.  It's the same as getting an error that
> a binary is busy.  In that case you would resort to 'ps' to find the offending
> process.  For this case (a shared library being busy), you could look at the
> output of 'procstat -af' to find which processes have executable mappings of
> the library.

I much more worry about rtld reporting 'shared library is busy'. It is fine
to not be able to write to mapped library.

Rtld errors are usually quite worrying for users, and they just do not
understand them.