sysutils/lsof author: API work?

Konstantin Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 10:47:28 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 07:01:02PM -0600, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> Continuing from my thread with clang questions from Vic Abell
> <abe at purdue.edu> for lsof:
>
> Larry,
>
> Thanks for forwarding the comments.  I would be happy
> to engage anyone interested in improving lsof's interface
> to FreeBSD.   After having participated in three previous
> efforts -- HP-UX, Linux and MacOS X -- I think I know the
> pros and cons of kernel dumpster diving versus an API.
> It's not at all clear to me which approach is the best.
So, did Vic looked at the facilities provided by sysctl kern.proc ?
Most interesting for the first look are kern.proc.file. Example of
the usage is available in the procstat(1) source code.

Obvious missed facility of our kernel interfaces is the reporting
of the advisory file locks.

I will be happy to implement reasonable extensions for our
introspection facilities.

> As for the mistaken comment about VOP_WRITE (It was
> VOP_UNLOCK) -- the reason I needed to know is that clang
> objected to some of the ZFS header files that used that
> macro/function without any pre-definition of it.  My
> hunch is that will be true of the standard FreeBSD
> modules that se VOP_UNLOCK if they were to be compiled
> with clang.
>
> So, see if anyone wants to step up and work with me on
> an lsof API.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vic
>
> Does anyone want to work with Vic?
>
> (I can supply a -CURRENT test box that I keep up-to-date).
This is not needed, thanks.