softdep: out of journaling space for softdep!

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Fri Nov 9 08:04:55 UTC 2012

I just received since two days from now on one of my FreeBSD 10-CUR
boxes a kernel message after syncing disks, just the moment when the
system is supposed to switch off or reboot, like

softdep: out of journaling space for softdep

or something similar. I checked the /var/log for more details, but
nothing has been logged there so far regarding this subject.

The box in question has buildworld and kernel most recent as

FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #0 r242747M: Thu Nov  8 10:40:09 CET 2012 amd64

The system is CLANG compiled, as it is now the standard and with

CXXFLAGS+=              -stdlib=libc++ -std=c++11

The box has its root filesystem on a SAMSUNG 830 SSD with a capacity of
120 GB, GPT partitions, UFS2 formated.

The box is the only one of a bunch of other FBSD 10 boxes with the very
same software revision and a similar setup, but with traditional harddrives.

I can not reboot the box, the box is spinning with the above mentioned
error message forever (did so for day on the unattended box).

A 'hard' reboot is quit with a kernel dump due to "sleeping thread".

Regards,

Oliver