sysutils/lsof Author Question (for CLANG)....

Edward Tomasz Napierała trasz at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 8 15:20:10 UTC 2012

Wiadomość napisana przez Andriy Gapon w dniu 8 lis 2012, o godz. 15:17:
> on 08/11/2012 01:00 Greg 'groggy' Lehey said the following:

>>> This is VERY true.  Since some of the information lsof uses has
>>> no API/ABI/KPI/KBI to get, it grovels around in the kernel.
>>
>> And until those interfaces are provided, I think this is legitimate.
>> If there's anybody out there who hasn't used lsof, you should try it.
>> It's good.
>
> Just curious why lsof can't use interfaces that e.g. fstat/sockstat/etc use?
> Those base utilities do not seem to experience as much trouble as lsof.

Note that fstat(8) does not report file paths. On the other hand, procstat(8)
does.  It looks like "procstat -fa" and "procstat -va" together provide the
same information lsof(8) does; unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way
to show a "merged" output for files opened (-f) and files mmapped, but closed
(-v).

--
If you cut off my head, what would I say?  Me and my head, or me and my body?