FORTRAN vs. Fortran (was: November 5th is Clang-Day)

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Nov 2 10:58:02 UTC 2012

	From theraven at theravensnest.org Fri Nov  2 10:54:08 2012
	On 2 Nov 2012, at 10:21, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:

	> further development of
	> FreeBSD/ia64 and FreeBSD/sparc64
	> will probably suffer and then stop altogether

	There is a SPARC64 back end for LLVM that needs some
	attention but would be relatively easy to get up to
	 production quality if anyone cared.
	  The IA64 back end bitrotted and died,
	 although there's now a bit better generic infrastructure
	 for VLIW architectures (contributed by Qualcomm
	 for the Hexagon DSP), so resurrecting it is possible,
	 but I doubt anyone cares because Itanium is basically dead.
	  Oracle seems intent on mismanaging SPARC to death too,
	 so I'm not sure how long it will be around either.

	I'd be happy to help anyone who is interested in resurrecting either of these,

marcel@ was working on LLVM backend for ia64.

Anton