OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc completeness

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Wed May 30 03:27:24 UTC 2012

On 2012-May-29 02:18:25 +0400, Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru> wrote:
>* Peter Jeremy (peter at rulingia.com) wrote:
>> My experience is that it now takes about 2½ minutes on 10.x with warm
>> caches, compared to less than 1 second on 8.x.
>
>Now = after applying my patch or after changing system? Which knobs
>were enabled?

"Now" as in -current as against 8.x.  But, that 2½ mins was wrong,
sorry.  I recalled "150s" but actually checking, it's really 1:50
(100s).  It occurred to me that was an oldish -current (r235127) so I
updated to r236183 and the time dropped to 107s.  Since this is an
oldish P4, I tried a UP kernel and that reduced it to 96s.  Your patch
made no noticable change (ministat reported no difference with 95%
confidence).

The system is amd64 with no MK_* knobs defined.

>Then you should try to profile it - my script basically runs
>delete-old delete-old-libs for every knob (131 of them), and it
>hadn't taken more than 4 seconds even once.

I've done some investigating and the problem is that "xargs -n1"
fork()/exec()s /bin/echo on each file (and there are 5538 files for
me).  Changing this to "tr ' ' '\n'" reduces "make delete-old" runtime
to 1.75s - which is much nicer.  I've checked a variety of other
systems running 8.x & 9.x and the 97s seems to be anomalously long so
I'll do some more investigating.

--
Peter Jeremy