Using TMPFS for /tmp and /var/run?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Mar 30 17:15:03 UTC 2012

> > > The default should be clear_tmp_enable="YES"
> > > if only to uncover those broken configurations that expect /tmp to be
> > > persistent.
> >
> > If you want to break POLA and make a lot of people angry, sure.
> > Otherwise no.
> >

> I would very much like an example of where /tmp is expected to persist.

I don't have any examples of stuff being *dependent* on /tmp being
persistent. However, given that it has been persistent with all the
FreeBSD installations I have performed since 1995 or so, I would be
*highly* surprised if this suddenly changed. POLA.

(And these haven't been special installations in any way, just your
plain vanilla sysinstall installations with either one / covering the
whole disk, or /, /usr and /var on separate partitions.)

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no