Migrating from FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE/amd to 10.0-CURRENT/amd64?

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 6 21:23:25 UTC 2012

On 03/06/12 19:03, Olli Hauer wrote:
> On 2012-03-06 17:09, O. Hartmann wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Well, I run on a brand new "luxury" box the newest Intel CPU
>> Sandy-Brideg-E in its incarnation of the Core i7-X3930K on a decent ASUS
>> workstation motherboard. The box is running FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE/amd64 at
>> the moment.
>> I discovered some "problems" with the SATA/AHCI interface. Since the
>> peripherial hardware didn't change, except mainboard and CPU (and a lot
>> of more memory), I guess FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE does have some issues with
>> the new hardware. So I'd like to use FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT/amd64, which I
>> use successfully on an oldish two core Core2Duo box.
>>
>> VirtualBox, for instance, on the FBSD 9.0 box with the new hardware,
>> stops working from time to time, the Windows-7 is getting stuck. The
>> implication, that FreeBSD 9 can not handle the new hardware is wrong at
>> that point, since even the VBox could have it's issues with the new 6
>> core Sandy Bridge-E, but the issues with the SATA 6GB subsystems are
>> "real". Sometimes the system gets stuck.
>>
>> Well, I tried to switch by doing a "svn switch" in /usr/src, building a
>> kernel, restarting the kernel in single user mode and then trying to
>> build the world. At some point in /usr/src/share (I forgot were exactly,
>> it was somewhere with lots of locale stuff), the buildworld process
>> fails so I couldn't build a world.
>>
>> It wouldn't be bad if the "switch" isn't possible at the moment by
>> simply switching the sources, but I'm still inclined to give the new
>> hardware the propper new OS - hoping, that new driver will pay tribute
>> to new hardware ...
>>

>> Thanks for your comments in advance,
>> Oliver
>>

> Maybe you can reach your update goal faster...
>
> From your mails to current I know you already have a box running FBSD 10.
>
> My way to upgrade machines is to share / rsync /usr/src from a central
> machine to all others, same for /usr/obj if the architectur match.
> Do not forget to sync also make.conf/src.conf and runing mergemaster.
>
> If the machine is alive after the fast upgrade you can experiment
> with different src.conf / kernel settings.

Well, in my case one box is at home (the FBSD 10.0-CUR/amd64) and
switched off ... the box which is supposed to be updated is in my lab
and still in front of me and at the moment I see no chance to switch the
other box on ;-)

Well, I thought I do it the hard way - having a running system and
carefully migrate ... The new hardware is trmendously fast, so compiling
the whole bunch of ports (~ 1000) will take not that long.

But at the moment I get plagued by an error when "make buildworld" ...

Regards
Oliver

P.S. By the way: thanks!