flowtable usable or not

K. Macy kmacy at freebsd.org
Sat Mar 3 21:03:49 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 9:54 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 03/03/2012 08:53, K. Macy wrote:
>> a) We as a members of the community are collectively responsible for
>> the state of FreeBSD. Simply disabling features or removing
>> functionality that doesn't work or doesn't work optimally and / or
>> filing bug reports but not being able or willing to respond to
>> feedback requests is in essence a form of neglect. Although we all
>> have day to day obligations for which the use of FreeBSD is extremely
>> impractical if not impossible ... any progress, any improvements, any
>> advancements will only happen because *we* made it happen.
>
> Since we're reiterating key points, I'll do mine one more time. While I
> sympathize with what you wrote above, if you continue to believe that

*users*

> have a responsibility to help you debug new features you're going
> to be disappointed and frustrated.

Users don't, community members do. So I guess I rest my case for you
Doug. You're an end user at the end of the day who thinks he is a
member of the community. As you've made apparent on other threads.

In your mind Other People(TM) are responsible for FreeBSD's welfare
for consuming your dogfood because you know the people who eat it.
FreeBSD would still be at the UP stage or worse the 5.x stage if
everyone thought the way you do. Individuals who fail to understand
the distinction between simple user and community member and are
confused by which role they play can only further contribute to the
acrimony.

-Kip