[HEADS-UP] BSD sort is the default sort in -CURRENT

Pedro Giffuni pfg at freebsd.org
Wed Jun 27 14:30:15 UTC 2012

--- Mer 27/6/12, Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> ha scritto:

> > I believe we do not
> > make this kind of work with any vendor code that is
> being updated in the
> > base;
>
> Au contraire, we frequently avoid updating the old versions
> of things we have in the base precisely because they are
> not bug-for-bug compatible with existing behaviors that we
> count on.

Really?? I guess you are speaking for bind, because the idea
behind updating and piece of software is precisely shaking
bugs. New functionality counts but fixing bugs takes the
priority. We have three serious bug reports concerning
GNU sort and I even submitted an update but no one cared
to apply it.

I would think only the maintainer of the package has the
authority to make any request in the lines of being
bug-for-bug compatible and in the case of GNU sort and
GNU grep they are both unmaintained and replacements
are welcome.

Please let's stop being an obstacle towards people
bringing real progress to FreeBSD!

Pedro.