Use of C99 extra long double math functions after r236148

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jul 13 16:40:26 UTC 2012

Just to jump back into the fray a bit, since this point hasn't been articulated well.

On Jul 10, 2012, at 6:55 PM, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> On 2012-Jul-08 19:01:07 -0700, Steve Kargl <sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
>> Well, on the most popular hardware (that being i386/amd64),
>> ld80 will use hardware fp instruction while ld128 must be
>> done completely in software.  The speed difference is
>> significant.
>
> AFAIK, of the architectures that FreeBSD supports, only sparc64
> defines ld128 in the architecture and I don't believe there are any
> SPARC chip implementations that implement ld128 math in hardware.

We shouldn't be gating the new math on an issue that only affects sparc64 machines.  If they have ld80 level of support for that architecture, then that is sufficient to get things into the tree.  There's no real benefit from making numerics good on sparc64 for the project, since our support for the platform isn't stellar and the platform itself is getting a bit long in the tooth.

That said, if people want to do it, be my guest.  If it is important enough to catch someone's attention, then it is important enough to have.  It just isn't important enough to be a gating factor if nobody has signed up for it yet.

Warner