newbus' ivar's limitation..

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Jul 12 13:21:04 UTC 2012

On Jul 12, 2012, at 6:01 AM, John Baldwin wrote:
> New-bus is certainly not the only way to organize a device hierarchy and is
> not perfect, but in your case I suggest you tone down your language until you
> have enough information to develop an informed opinion.

It is also not the only way to represent relationships between objects, or to export services to the rest of the kernel.  From earlier descriptions, it seems like some of these relationships aren't very newbus-y.  From what I know about FDT, many of them are 'this device's interrupt pin is tied to GPIO 12 on controller 3' which isn't a parent/child relationship, but rather some kind of interrupt cookie you'll need to implement bus_setup_intr.

Warner