ada,ata and cd?

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 11 08:03:12 UTC 2012

On 11.07.2012 02:00, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Steve Kargl
> <sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:41:38PM +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>>> I do have all this in the kernel, see below.
>>> Still if I don't have device ata, I get no cd:
>>>

>> Well, then, leave 'device ata' in your config file.
>>
>> Groucho: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
>> yada yada
>
>      The UPDATING directions don't say this is required, so mav@ might
> want to know (CCed).

The UPDATING record tells nothing about removing `device ata`. `options
ATA_CAM` only trims it from full ATA infrastructure to a CAM driver for
legacy ATA controllers not supported by the new, more advanced drivers
ahci(4), mvs(4) and siis(4). ata(4) man page was updated respectively.
It is not mandatory any more. You would be free to remove `device ata`
from your kernel if you had no such hardware, but obviously you have it.

--
Alexander Motin