posix_fadvise noreuse disables file caching

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Jan 31 18:42:27 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:21:07 pm Ulrich Spörlein wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 09:36:45 -0500, John Baldwin wrote:

> > > The patch drastically improves vlc, but there's still a tiny overhead.
> > > Without NOREUSE the disk is read in chunks of 128KiB (F_RDAHEAD buffer
> > > size). With NOREUSE there's an extra transfer of 32KiB (block size).
> >
> > This is probably because vlc is not reading on block boundaries, so the
> > noreuse is throwing away partial blocks at the end of a read that then have to
> > be re-read.  We could maybe fix this by making FADV_DONTNEED only throw
> > away completely-contained blocks rather than completely-contained pages.
> > However, this will probably result in NOREUSE not actually throwing away
> > anything at all if an app always reads sub-blocksize chunks.
> >
> > We could maybe make the case of vlc work ok in this case though by allowing
> > an extension where you can do 'posix_fadvise(SEQUENTIAL | NOREUSE)', and
> > in this case we could make the VOP_ADVISE(DONTNEED) in read() use an offset
> > of 0 rather than the start of the read request.
> >
> > However, posix_fadvise() really is going to work best if the userland
> > application reads aligned FS blocks.
>
> I find it questionable in general that an application can tell the
> system what to do wrt. caching. Perhaps I'm running 100s of VLC players
> all on the same file and actually *do* want reads to be cached?
>
> What happens if I seek back in the file? It has to do a potentially
> high-latency read again. The system has a better overview of blocks that
> are frequently being requested than any individual application.
>
> I fully understand the intention, and in 99.99% of the cases, this data
> *is* just being read once so there's no need to cache any reads for
> actually requested data. But as the example shows, requested data is not
> necessarily the data that lower layers have to fetch from the disk.
>
> Perhaps taking to VLC people on why they think this is useful and where
> it actually, measurably helped them would be interesting.
>
> Sorry if this is all perfectly obvious

There are certainly cases where the user can choose to run specific apps in
such a way where this makes sense, so the OS needs this functionality.  As
to whether or not specific apps should use these APIs or if they should make
use of these APIs configurable, that is a question for each app (e.g. vlc).
However, the OS should provide the tools.

--
John Baldwin