svn commit: r227333 - in head: . sys/amd64/conf sys/arm/conf sys/conf sys/i386/conf sys/ia64/conf sys/kern sys/mips/conf sys/pc98/conf sys/powerpc/conf sys/sparc64/conf

Attilio Rao attilio at freebsd.org
Sat Jan 28 16:03:13 UTC 2012

2011/11/8 Attilio Rao <attilio at freebsd.org>:
>> Author: attilio
>> Date: Tue Nov  8 10:18:07 2011
>> New Revision: 227333
>>
>> Log:
>>  Introduce the option VFS_ALLOW_NONMPSAFE and turn it on by default on
>>  all the architectures.
>>  The option allows to mount non-MPSAFE filesystem. Without it, the
>>  kernel will refuse to mount a non-MPSAFE filesytem.
>>
>>  This patch is part of the effort of killing non-MPSAFE filesystems
>>  from the tree.
>
> This is just a gentle reminder in order to point you further to the
> "official" page:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/NONMPSAFE_DEORBIT_VFS
>
> and encourage once again people in adopting a dying FS if it really
> matters to them.
> So far, unfortunately, I didn't see a lot of activity in this area but
> I hope that this would change soon.

This is a further reminder.

So far I've not seen any improvement over the locking of any of our
'legacy' filesystems. I remind you that this may be meaning
disconnecting them from the tree on 1st Semptember 2012, accordingly
with this road-map:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/NONMPSAFE_DEORBIT_VFS

In one month I'm going to disable VFS_ALLOW_NONMPSAFE by defaults in
order to see how well the users do with this option down. At the
present times this means that from 1st March you won't be able to
mount smbfs or ntfs volumes, for example.

Please step up and fix your favourite filesystem.

Thanks,
Attilio