amd: is there an alternative with NFSv4 capabilities?

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Sat Jan 21 02:35:10 UTC 2012

O. Hartmann wrote:
> Hello.
> I still use the amd automounter, but I miss NFSv4 capabilities. Since
> Linux seems to use a more deep in the kernel located facility, I'd
> like
> to ask whether FreeBSd has an alternative to the amd automounter with
> NFSv4 capabilities. Sorry if I bother someone, I'm not aware of an
> alternative and it maybe the case that I'm stuck with the amd ...
>
> Cheers,
> Oliver

I'm not aware of anything, but maybe someone else knows of an alternative?

On my "maybe it would be nice" list (not my "to do" list, because I'll never
get around to it) was to look at the Solaris' AutoFS. I believe Apple
switched to it and has found it worked well in Mac OSX. I suspect that there
are OpenSolaris sources for it out there under the CDDL, but I haven't even
checked that.

So, if anyone is looking for an interesting project, this might be a nice one.
(I could probably provide some help with it, if someone took it on.)

rick