WITH_ICONV/WITH_BSD_GREP: Defaults?

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Sun Jan 8 02:54:25 UTC 2012

On Jan 5, 2012, at 12:04 PM, O. Hartmann wrote:

> Another story seems to be with WITH_ICONV. I didn't realize problems
> until I had harsh faults compiling port lang/gcc46 which tend to fail in
> a Makefile when WITH_ICONV is enabled.

What exactly is the failure you're seeing?

I ask because I've recently been wrestling with
autoconf trying to generate a configure script that
will DTRT on systems with more than one iconv()
function available.  The standard autoconf recipes
don't seem to work correctly in this case.  (I've
seen it on MacOS when GNU libiconv is installed
in addition to the iconv implementation in libc
in the base system.  I presume the same problem
arises on FreeBSD.)

In short:  this could be a bug in the configure script
rather than a bug in FreeBSD's iconv implementation.

Tim