sysinstall as a post-install tool

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Tue Jan 3 23:34:06 UTC 2012

Hi,

In the the recent sysinstall thread there seems to be general agreement that
having a post-install configuration tool is a good thing. Until such a
tool is written I think it would be a good idea to use sysinstall for
this purpose.  I am willing to do the work to restore sysinstall and
maintain it as a post-install tool until a new one is written.

My plan would be to:

- Restore sysinstall and libodialog
- Statically link libodialog and make it specific to sysinstall
       A rewrite of sysinstall to use libdialog is not worth it. It would
       be better to just write a new configuration tool at that point.
- Remove front end non-configure facing features (ie "upgrade" and
installation options)
- Remove scripting support from sysinstall

Additionally I would agree to
- Ensure that sysinstall continues to function as time goes on
- Review and test patches to sysinstall

What I am not agreeing to:
- Rewrite sysinstall
- Make a new tool